Does Paleo Ice Cream Even Exist?
Sure it does, and it’s delicious.
The biggest challenge when making paleo ice cream is probably the fact that no milk and sugar are allowed. What? Ice cream, with no cream?
The consistency of ice cream is achieved by using a combination of almonds and coconut. Sweetness is derived from honey and vanilla beans. The nicest thing about making paleo coconut ice cream is that it doesn’t require that much work or ingredients.
Find the paleo ice cream recipe below and get your snowman on!
Makes around 1 litre of ice cream.
- Raw Almonds: About 1 cup
- Egg yolks: 6 yolks
- Shredded coconut: 2 cups, make sure it is unsweetened!
- Vanilla bean: 1 bean should be good!
- Honey: Around a quarter cup, or to taste
- Water: Add to desired consistency
How to prepare:
- Soak the almonds until they are soft. This can take all night so prepare in advance. Make sure they are rinsed properly before the soaking.
- Blend the soaked almonds in a food processor with water. Aim for quite a smooth consistency.
- Use a super-fine strainer to remove the almond pulp from the blended mixture.
- Boil your kettle and add around two cups to the coconut. Blend the mixture for around 5 minutes on high. Everything must be super smooth.
- Again, strain the coconut pulp to remove any solid bits.
- Have a pot ready on the stove heated to a medium heat, add the almond and cocount mixture and stir.
- Cut open the vanilla bean and add it to the pot.
- Seperate the egg yolks and add them to the mixture.
- Stir the mixture frequently and control the heat so that its just below simmering. This is very important!
- Make sure the mixture never simmers. This will curdle some of the ingredients.
- Keep mixing until a desirable consistency is reached. A good way to judge is to check if the custard sticks to the back of a wooden spoon, and has a consistency like that of cream.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and let it cool off. It should be allowed to cool to room temperature.
- Remove the vanilla bean and remove the seeds from the pod, add the seeds back to the mixture.
- Add the honey and stir it in completely.
- Put the mixture in the fridge, and once its cooled down enough, you can freeze it.
See? Not really that difficult.
So get to it, and let us know how it goes?